Thursday, July 25, 2013

Beauty

So I felt the need to write this after being irritated once again by a sign I drove past today.  The sign read "Skinny up this summer".  Now why did this irritate me so much that I am writing this?  I hate what that implies.  I hate that in society today we are so concerned with being a certain size.  Honestly, it doesn't matter one bit whether you are a size 2 or a size 20.  What truly matters is the person that you are inside.  Last time I checked, your size didn't make you fit a certain personality.  And this sign isn't the only thing that irritates me.  I frequently hear radio ads mentioning trying things on over a skinnier waist or arms.  Why is this so important in our society?  Even if I had the best body in the world, I wouldn't flaunt like so many media outlets are encouraging people to do.  I don't need to expose myself in order to have friends and to develop meaningful relationships.  Again, it doesn't matter what size I am.  The people who are my dear friends are people who love me for who I am and what I stand for.  I think some of the greatest compliments that you can get are ones that don't focus on appearance.  I love when I get told that I have a beautiful smile.  I don't think it's because my teeth are super white or because I had braces as a kid.  I believe it is because I try to be a happy person and share that happiness with others.  Likewise, I have been observing women over the past few months and specifically looking at different body types.  I've noticed that some of the women that I think are the most beautiful have flaws with their bodies but you don't notice them unless you are looking for them because of the person that they are.  I look at my mother and I know there are things she would change if she could but the way she looks does not affect her parenting skills one bit.  I don't love my mother based on her size.  I love her because she is my mother and has given so much for me.  I can think of many other women who fit this same mold.  Women who by media standards are unattractive or worthless but by my standards are the most beautiful women in the world.  To wrap up, I can't say that I am perfect and that I am perfectly satisfied with my body but I am trying to be healthy.  I will probably never be a size 2 and that is totally fine with me.  What matters is that I have the capabilities to serve those that I love.  I know the people that truly care about me will never care what size I am but they do care about who I become.  Let's all forget about what the media says is beautiful and create our own definition.  Life is to be enjoyed and we are all different so that we can experience those beauties.  Who cares what your size is or how flawless your skin is?

We are all beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment