Thursday, January 28, 2010

Waiting For Missionaries

Growing up here in Utah County, life changes dramatically once high school is over.  Like with most high schools, everyone goes to different colleges and hopes to keep the relationships.  But when you live in an area that is mainly Mormons, there is an extra twist to this whole scenario: missions.
For me, I didn't think too much about it because I was just barely 18.  But then after I moved out, I found myself coming back to my hometown repeatedly for multiple missionary farewells.  By the end of fall semester, I was fed up.  Fortunately, everyone I cared about was gone.
Living in Heritage Halls added another dimension to the issue.  Most of the friends that I made were preparing for their missions.  Even though I had substantially completed my farewells, I found myself attending another one an hour away from my home for a guy I met here at BYU.  I felt like everything was futile and that I would just continue to attend farewells for the rest of my life.
Now I'm approaching my twentieth birthday in less than a month.  Thankfully, I haven't been to any more farewells in the recent past.  Now comes the annoying part: waiting.
I did not have any serious relationships with any of these guys but I still consider them some of my closest friends.  I can't say that I know exactly what every girl who waits for a missionary feels, but I think every Mormon girl feels this to a point in her life.  I was looking at Facebook today and came across a girl I know who waited for a missionary and now they are engaged.  For them, waiting worked out great but in so many other situations, it doesn't work out as well.  That is why I believe that the best approach is not to seriously wait for any missionary.  Why put your life on hold for something that may not even happen?  I believe that the best approach is to be supportive by writing regularly and not expecting complete reciprocation.  Then if anything does happen, you can say that you lived those two years to their fullest, learning and growing, and helped your missionary be a better missionary.

No comments:

Post a Comment