Saturday, January 23, 2010

Disney Drama

So I really have no idea what to write so I've reverted to my high school days where I had to write occasional papers on just something that sparked my mind.  I'm kind of stealing this idea from one I heard but we have also been talking a lot about this in our apartment lately.
Growing up, I watched a lot of Disney movies.  I was always enthralled with the magical ideas and the stories that Disney put out.  However, there is one universal flaw in most Disney stories.  There is the absence of one or both of the parents.  In some of the stories, the absence of the parents is an important point in the story but in general there is no true point to both of the parents being absent.

  • Beauty and the Beast--No mother
  • Pocahontas--No mother
  • The Little Mermaid--No mother
  • Aladdin--No mother for Jasmine
  • Sleeping Beauty--No mother for Prince Philip
  • Cinderella--No mother for Prince Charming
  • Toy Story--No father
  • Chicken Little--No mother
  • A Goofy Movie--No mother
Anyway, I think that gets the point across.  There is a large absence of parental influence.  Now what message is that sending to young children?  Oh well, I guess the magic is still there even with the dysfunctional families in these movies.  I will continue to love these movies and will show them to my children in the future.  I guess there is still something magical about Disney movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment