You are a friend of mine,
Thank God I have learned your worth,
One of a royal group
The very salt of the earth.
Culled from the mighty throngs
That trek on the beaten ways
That cross and recross my path,
All through the hurrying days
Millions have come and gone
But by a law divine
Nature has deigned to segregate
All that I claim as mine.
So has your name been placed
High on the sacred scroll
With all who agree to barter with me
The merchandise of the soul.
All through the passing days
Swift in their hectic flight
I shall take time to think of you
Morning and noon and night.
I will be true to you
Till the last long slanting rays
Of life's setting sun shall gild the peaks
Of the world of other days.
Nothing can budge my faith,
Nothing can breed a doubt
Never till time shall cease
And the sun and stars burn out.
—Dr. Geo. W. Middleton.


No comments:
Post a Comment