First, I think everyone needs to acknowledge that they are not perfect as a human being and that is totally okay! Personally, I am not perfect and I think if I were to be around someone who was perfect, it would drive me bonkers. People are going to do and say things that are going to hurt you. There are going to be things in life that disappoint you. You are even going to disappoint yourself sometimes. But the trick is to find joy in being imperfect.
Part of learning how to find joy in being imperfect is ignoring everything on social media. I am definitely guilty of only putting things that make me look good. I don't usually post about how much weight I gained over the holidays, how I was late to work, how I neglected to do my dishes, and many other things that would make me look imperfect. But for some reason, I seemed to ignore the fact that everyone else is doing the same thing! So comparing myself to them is ridiculous. I don't know how high their stack of dishes is or anything else so making that comparison is unfair to both of us.
Finally, I realized how much joy that can be in recognizing the little things that you have. These are a list of things that bring me incredible joy even in my imperfect life.
- I am able to be self-sufficient and provide for myself.
- Even though my sink is full of dishes, I have a dishwasher that will make the task easier.
- I may weigh more than I want to but I am healthy and able to accomplish the things that I need to every day.
- I have a job that I love and am able to learn and grow at every day.
- Progress on little things like puzzles and coloring pictures :)
While these things may seem little, I can't express how much just remembering these little things and many more has left me going to bed with a smile on my face even when mental illness has reared its' ugly head that day. I may not be perfect but I am more than a diagnosis and have the choice every day to continue to fight. I don't win every battle but I am winning the war.


No comments:
Post a Comment